On June 17, 2015, John Williams was honored by the University of Kentucky College of Law with the 2015 Community Service Alumni Award. This award is given each year to a graduate who has provided outstanding leadership in his or her local community, state, or even the nation, to aid and benefit causes not necessarily related to the legal profession. John's service over the years has included:
- Over 20 years of service as a board member of Special Olympics Kentucky, Inc.
- Board of Directors and President of the The Lexington Children's Museum, Inc.
- Established the Col. Earl Williams Scholarship Fund for high school graduates in the Cloverfork area of Harlan County, Kentucky.
- Trustee of the Kentucky Lawyers Assistance Program Foundation, Inc.
- Volunteer Counselor for the Kentucky Lawyers Assistance Program.
- Member of the Kentucky State Corrections Commission.
- Past President of the Kentucky Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.