Marco M. Rajkovich, Jr.
Marco M. Rajkovich, Jr., a native of Lynch, Kentucky, concentrates his practice in the areas of mine safety and health, mineral and energy and administrative law. He represents coal operators in all facets of mine safety, including litigation, consultation and regulatory compliance. He is a Licensed Professional Engineer - Mining, a Licensed Professional Land Surveyor and Certified Underground Mine Foreman in Kentucky. Prior to his law career, he was with U.S. Steel Mining Company, Inc. serving in various positions in engineering as well as production.
Marco is a 1977 graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Engineering where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering with the Mining Option and was a member of Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honorary. He is a 1987 graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Law where he was a member of the Journal of Mineral Law & Policy.
Marco has been involved in representation of mining and land-holding companies in several mine explosions, disasters, major accident litigation and mineral law issues in both federal and Kentucky state courts, and administrative tribunals. He has argued cases in front of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission and the Court of Appeals of Kentucky.
Marco is an author and frequent speaker at various mining industry conventions, meetings and seminars and a guest lecturer at the University of Kentucky College of Engineering, and the University of Kentucky College of Law. He is a contributor to The Coal Mining Reference Book (2012) and co-author of The Kentucky Environmental Law Handbook, Government Institutes (1991, 1993). Marco is authorized by the Kentucky Board of Licensure of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors as an instructor on ethics and minimum technical standards and has given national presentations on ethics for the National Society of Professional Engineers.
The following are among Marco’s professional achievements and honors:
- AV® Preeminent™rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Named in Best Lawyers®
- Kentucky Superlawyers®
- Kentucky Bar Association Lifetime Fellow
- 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award, Mining Engineering, University of Kentucky
- 2008 Achievement in Mining Award for the Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers
- Six-time recipient of the Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers President's Award
- Former Chair of the Professional Engineers in Mining Practice Group of KSPE
- Member of the Kentucky Geological Survey Advisory Board
- Former Member of the Jessamine County (Kentucky) Joint Planning Commission
- NRCC Business Advisory Council 2005 Honorary Chairman for Kentucky
- NRCC 2005 Business Man of the Year
- NRCC 2006 Congressional Medal of Distinction
- Honorary Order of Kentucky Colonels
- Kentucky Coal Baron
Marco also serves the Catholic Diocese of Lexington, Kentucky as a Permanent Deacon, lifetime appointee as Defender of the Bond for the Diocesan Tribunal, and he has served as a member of the Diocesan Financial Council as well as a former Chair of its Governance Committee. He is an Emeritus Member of Legatus, a Knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem, counsel to Thy Kingdom Come Network and member of the Finance Council of the Diocesan Benedictus Bookstore.